Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Great Rhubarb Move

When I first moved into my new home the first neighbor I met was a woman from a few houses down named Kat. She was walking her beautiful puppy Cocoa and I couldn't help but run across the street and introduce myself. Kat is a fellow gardening enthusiast and mentioned that she has two rhubarb plants and was really only able to use one of them and if I wanted to dig it up I could have it.

So one day about a month later I stroll down to her house with a 5 gallon bucket and a shovel ready to dig it up. Unfortunately I seriously underestimated the size of the Rhubarb plant. An hour later I was finally able to pull this beast out of the ground
rhubarb plant dug from my neighbor's yard

There were some casualties (that were washed, sliced and frozen for future use)
casualties of the great rhubarb move of 2010

And when I got it into the ground it was REALLY drooping over so I was concerned it didn't survive the transplant.
rhubarb plant

But as the stalks drooped and died I pulled them out and kept watering and tending it (I also had a couple conversations with it that may have involved some promises if it survived) and this morning when I went to check on it I saw this
rhubarb regenerating

I am so happy to see it growing again! As of late I have been getting frustrated with the grass constantly trying to overtake the garden and the woodchuck and/or rabbit eating everything I have in the cabbage family (pak choi, cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli). I just put down some fox urine earlier today so hopefully that will finally do the trick.

If anyone has any suggestions (besides a shotgun) I am all ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment