Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Failures and Triumphs

It's been 20 days with nary a word and I feel that breaking the silence is important.

The garden has been a sight for some triumphs and failures (yes, already!) The main failure being that the grass continues to wrap its slimy roots around my edibles. It's trying to conquer the corn and is gaining ground on my blueberries and raspberries. But enough about the enemy, let's talk about some of the success I've been having!

When I planted the 4 Pak Choi plants, two were thriving and two looked dead. I went ahead and planted the two dead looking ones in hopes that a good layer of compost and a little nurturing would bring them back to life. Frankenstein has his monster and these Pak Chois are mine.
pak choi
IT'S ALIIIIVE!
I literally did a happy dance in the garden when I saw this beautiful sight.

The Blue Corn and Broccoli both look pretty good as well.
blue corn
broccoli

I noticed that some of the plants have a purplish tint to them. One of my favorite sources for gardening information, Chiots Run, said that this means the plants are lacking phosphorus. I will have to do some digging to see how I go about rectifying that. Any ideas?

The other success is that the chives I transplanted have started to flower. Call me strange, but I think chives are one of the most beautiful plants in the garden. I love the purple flowers and the mild onion smell and I put chives in everything I cook (okay, except pancakes) so it's always useful.
chive flower emerging


Finally, I will leave you with a moment of zen. As you know from previous posts I adopted two spirited (read: crazy!) kittens. I snapped this rare moment a couple days ago where they played so hard they just couldn't keep their eyes open anymore
a rare sight
In case you're wondering, that's a dining room chair they are crashing out on!

What are your successes in the garden so far this year? Anyone want to admit to a failure?


No comments:

Post a Comment